Preparing your home for vacation to prevent disasters
Last week we received two emergency water loss calls back to back from customers just returning from their Spring Break 2019 vacations. One was caused from a faulty toilet water supply line, the other from a ruptured water heater. We were quick to respond to both jobs and were able to begin the process of drying and cleaning up these homes to prepare for the restoration process. We are well on our way to returning these homes “Like it never even happened.” However, we know that these families would have preferred these disasters never happened in the first place. So we’ve come up with a checklist to help other families do all they can to prevent such disasters.
To avoid the possibility of a fire or water disaster while you’re on vacation:
- Unplug all small appliances and electronic devices. Except those you use to monitor your home such as security lighting timers.
- Never run your clothes dryer when you’re not at home.
- Put the water heater in “vacation” mode.
- Turn OFF water valves to the
- washing machine (FYI washing machine water supply hoses need to be replaced every 7 years).
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside temps (warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter) but which still protects your plants, pets and furniture. We recommend 82° in the warmer months and 60° in the cooler months.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.
- Leave your emergency contact information with a neighbor.
We are here to help SERVPRO® of Johnston County call us 24 hours a day at (919) 359-2599
A plan for business owners to prepare for unpreventable disasters
An average of 50% of all small businesses never reopen their doors after facing a water or fire disaster. Yet, many small businesses don’t have an emergency response plan in place to minimize the impact of a such a disaster. SERVPRO® of Johnston County can create a completely free of cost Emergency Ready Profile for any business, large or small.
With the SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile:
1) You’ll have an immediate plan of action at your fingertips. The SERVPRO®Emergency Ready Profile will be available to you as both hard copy and digitally, so that you have access to important emergency information about your building. Whether you own or rent your space having an SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile will save you time, money and headache should a disaster occur. 2) You’ll know where to find the utility shut-offs. Depending on the size and nature of a disaster, it might be imperative that somebody immediately shut off the gas, water, and/or electricity. During the SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profileappointment we will tag and photograph each shut-off valve location. The profile will also note anything special about their locations. 3) You’ll have access to all your information in one place. Your SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile will contain: a) all the numbers you’ll need for utilities, insurance and local authorities. b) The age of your building as well as materials used.c) Parking information for emergency services.
If you’ve never thought about creating an Emergency Ready Profile now is the time to start. Because disaster rarely offers a warning, you don’t want to be caught off-guard when it strikes. Call Your SERVPRO® of Johnston County to get your personalized Emergency Ready Profile today!