It Can Happen to Your Church Too!
Churches are not immune from the varieties of water losses that afflict residential and other commercial structures.
In the past, we have been involved with three large churches each experiencing a serious loss. One had a large mold situation in their education building. Another had a lift pump failure on their sewage discharge system, and, the other had a fire suppression system failure in their bell tower. Each loss was significant and impacted the operation of each of the churches.
Do not think that losses such as these cannot or will not happen at your church. You must always be vigilant.
Here are some helpful yips to keep these issues from occurring at your church.
- Have the church's sewage system inspected by a certified plumber at least once a year. If your church operates a Day Care, semiannual inspections would be appropriate.
- If your church is plumbed with a fire prevention suppression system, they should be tested annually. Make sure that the heat sensors can tolerate the level of heat that we have been experiencing recently.
- If your church has stand-alone structures it would be wise to keep the structure air conditioned and/or heated, depending on the season. This will minimize the opportunity for mold to get started.
A Plan for Business Owners to Prepare for disaster
On average 50% of all small businesses never reopen their doors after facing a water or fire disaster. Yet, many small businesses don’t have an emergency response plan in place to minimize the impact of such a disaster. SERVPRO® of Johnston County can create a completely free of cost Emergency Ready Profile for any business, large or small.
With the SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile:
1) You’ll have an immediate plan of action at your fingertips. The SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile will be available to you as both hard copy and digitally, so that you have access to important emergency information about your building. Whether you own or rent your space having an SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile will save you time, money and headache should a disaster occur.
2) You’ll know where to find the utility shut-offs. Depending on the size and nature of a disaster, it might be imperative that somebody immediately shut off the gas, water, and/or electricity. During the SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profileappointment we will tag and photograph each shut-off valve location. The profile will also note anything special about their locations.
3) You’ll have access to all your information in one place. Your SERVPRO® Emergency Ready Profile will contain:
- All the numbers you’ll need for utilities, insurance and local authorities.
- The age of your building as well as materials used.
- Parking information for emergency services.
If you’ve never thought about creating an Emergency Ready Profile now is the time to start. Because disaster rarely offers a warning, you don’t want to be caught off-guard when it strikes. Call Your SERVPRO® of Johnston County to get your personalized Emergency Ready Profile today!